Tuesday, May 29, 2012

So here's where the project stands after about a week of work:
The motor is apart and waiting for a gasket set to come in from someplace in east Asia and I managed to mount the tires I bought last year but never did anything with. They are Michelin M62 Gazelles, which are a moped tire but rated for 93 mph. These will have to go before the bike touches a track. I resprayed the tank and gave it a stripe for extra speediness and have been doing general polishing and cleanup. Also, my Woodcraft 31mm clip-ons arrived today and I got them mounted in time to take some glamour shots.
Looking better already


Striped - for extra speediness
I did a few other small things in the past week. Lightened the front sprocket cover, replaced a lot of the stock philips screws with socket head screws and fabricated a battery box and tach mount out of an old aluminum Shuttle PC case. The project is basically at the 'waiting for parts' stage right now. I have a set of Motobits rear-sets on order as well as new hand controls and a much lighter 12V 2.9ah battery. Until then I'm stuck ogling fairings and trying to figure out how to route the exhaust.

Upon opening up the head I noticed the exhaust valves look a little toasted. I may need to get some replacements for those, although the rest of the motor looks very clean inside.
Shiny and holey. That's at least an extra horsepower right there!

No comments:

Post a Comment