Wednesday, June 20, 2012

This is my standard disclaimer when it comes to fiberglass: I'm terrible with fiberglass. That said, this seat turned out better than expected. I started with an aluminum pan made of some duct sheeting the furnace guys left behind. The bum stop is riveted on.
only slightly banana shaped
Next came a very rudimentary shape for the hump made of cardboard which was filled with Great Stuff. When working with expanding foam remember to make some holes for the excess to ooze out of or your form will explode at the seams.
my humps
After shaping the foam and filling the holes with Bondo I covered the whole deal with aluminum tape. The hump in the front is there to clear the battery. This is where our hay guy showed up with 8 wagon loads of fresh hay to stack. I wanted to get the glass curing so in my rush I completely forgot to use a release agent. Luckily, Shurtape is magical and the plug popped right out. I gave it a quick trim and stacked hay for the rest of the afternoon.
this bike brought to you by Shurtape
This is the point where one's patience or lack thereof will shine through. Working with male fiberglass molds means filling and sanding followed by more filling and more sanding, followed by you scaring the crap out of your girlfriend because you look like a ghost coming up the stairs at 2 am covered in Bondo dust.
splotchy
It's always the middle of the night by the time I get around to doing photos. Here it is with a coat of paint on it but no clearcoat yet.
in the dark. again.
It's no show bike but it is cheap and functional. In other news, when I was wheeling it around the yard the rear brake completely locked up. Taking apart the hub I found the shoes had separated from the pads and the pads had gotten wedged in the drum. Got some new shoes and she's rolling again. At least it didn't happen on a test ride at 60 miles an hour.
cheap and mostly functional, kind of like its owner

No comments:

Post a Comment